Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Introducing Master Tormentor Vold....uh...Morghoul

I decided to go with a different paint scheme for this army. I know, I set my blog to match traditional Skorne colors, but I think that works better than trying to read a blog written in green, white, gold and silver.

One thing I learned from painting this model is that it's better to do multiple thin coats of paint if you have the patience; the detail comes out better and the colors look richer. I didn't take my own advice when applying the metal colors. When drybrushing you can't use thin paint, but if you see the miniature in person the metals on the mask and claws look thicker than the paint everywhere else. I use about a 1:1 mix of paint and water currently. The first layer hardly covers any of the black primer but the color starts to build up pretty quickly if you keep at it.


One thing I'm going to do differently in the future is use darker greens. On this model I used the greens I had at the house: snot green and goblin green. In the future I would like to start with Dark Angels green and transition to a snot green highlight to give the model a darker look overall. I also went with a dark gray skin color; I'm not sure if I like it. It looks fine, but I don't think it provides enough contrast to the rest of the model. I might change that in the future.

This is the base I created for Morghoul. It was really easy. I bought some craft sand from Michaels for less than $2 to use for the base. The rock is made from a piece of cork tile.






I started with a base coat of GW Tallarn Flesh. I went over that with a wash of GW Ogryn Flesh wash. My first highlight was a dry brushing of GW Tausept Ochre followed by a final highlight of GW Bleached Bone. I haven't tried any of the P3 paints but I've heard good things about them. If anyone has anything to say about them, good or bad, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the layering, multiple layers of thinned down paint isnt something I ever had the patience for

    ReplyDelete